This recipe from the American Heart Association is a simple meat-free option that will delight even a hardcore carnivore.
Ingredients for the potato salad:
- 1 1/2 lb potatoes, like new potatoes or red potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 1/4 ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 green onions or scallions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, fresh parsley
Ingredients for the black bean burgers:
- 15.5 oz. canned, low-sodium black beans, rinsed, drained
- 8.8 oz packaged, cooked brown rice
- 15 oz canned sweet potatoes or yams in light syrup, drained
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
Directions for the potato salad:
- Fill a medium heavy-duty pot three-fourths full with water. Cut the potatoes evenly into bite-sized pieces and add into the water.
- Place pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, let cook until potatoes are fork-tender, about 8 to 10 minutes depending on size. Drain in a colander and run cold water over the potatoes to cool.
- In a large bowl, add oil, mustard, vinegar, pepper, and salt. Whisk together to combine with a fork. Add potatoes, chopped scallions, and chopped parsley. Toss to combine potatoes in dressing. Reserve until black bean burgers are done.
Directions for the black bean burgers:
- Into a medium bowl, add ½ cup black beans and 1 cup brown rice. It may be easier to microwave the rice for 30 to 60 seconds so it sticks together less and can be measured. Reserve.
- Add remaining beans and brown rice into the bowl of a food processor, along with canned sweet potatoes/ yams, egg white, cumin, salt, and pepper. Pulse the mixture until smooth, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Transfer puree to the reserved bowl with whole beans and rice. Add breadcrumbs and stir until mixture is combined. Form into 6 patties and place onto a plate.
- Warm 1 tablespoon oil in a medium nonstick sauté pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully add 3 of the fragile patties into the pan; cook until slightly browned on each side, 4 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining oil and patties. Serve black bean burgers with potato salad.
Send us a photo of your recreations. We would love to see them!
Comment below by logging in with your social media site, OR type in your name and email and check the "I'd rather post as a guest" box to send us your message.
Send us a picture by clicking on the image icon after writing your comment.