serves 4 entrée size or 8 appetizer size
· 1 lb. apple-smoked bacon, diced
· 3/4 cup smoked, shredded organic chicken
· Zest of 1 lemon (first zest then juice)
· 2 cloves garlic chopped
· 2 medium-size fresh beets,
washed, peeled and diced fine
· 1/4 cup Italian Parsley, chopped fine
· 1/4 cup of fresh basil, chopped fine
· 1/8 cup fresh Thyme, chopped fine
· 1/8 cup of tarragon, chopped fine
· 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
· 4 oz. of extra virgin olive oil
· 2 cup Arborio Rice
· 2 cup white wine (drinkable Sauvignon
Blanc or Chablis preferred)
· 6 cups of chicken broth
(if store bought/sodium free)
· 4 oz. Parmigianino
· 4 oz. Goat cheese
· Sea Salt to taste
· White pepper to taste
1. Bring stock to a boil and allow to simmer.
2. In heavy-bottom sauté pan melt 1/2 of the butter
and 1/2 of the olive oil. Sauté the bacon until crispy, then remove and set aside. Briefly sauté onion and garlic until lightly golden brown.
3. Add rice, beets and all chopped herbs and stir until grains are shiny.
4. Add wine and let evaporate over high heat.
5. Then add 1 cup/8 oz. of stock and turn heat down to medium high.
6. As the rice absorbs the stock add more, one cup
at a time.
7. After about 15 minutes, add chicken and allow to simmer until cooked through.
8. Do a taste test. When risotto is creamy and grains are firm yet tender, it’s ready for the next step.
9. Add lemon zest; season to taste with sea salt
10. Remove from heat; add your cooked bacon, the Parmigianino, remaining butter and olive oil. Gently fold with a spatula until the rice and cheese are melted and incorporated.
11. Place on serving platter; crumble your goat cheese and sprinkle over your creation. Enjoy!